There are thirteen national monuments of B&H in Tuzla. Those are:
There are also Mejdan Mosque from 1644, Mehmedaga’s (Jalska) Mosque (from about 1600) and the Mosque of Husein Čauš (Džindijska) from the 17th century.
The memorial heritage consists of graveyards. The Catholic graveyard is in Borić, Josipovac / Slavinovići; the Orthodox graveyard is in Trnovac and the Jewish is in Bukovčiću. The Catholic graveyard is Borić is the last resting place of many generations of Croats of Salt and of members of other Catholic nations who came here after a cultural and industrial development of Tuzla after coming of modern western civilization with Austro-Hungary in the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century. The Baroque Building from 1900, which was renewed in 2009, is a forerunner of modern shopping malls.
Construction of monuments on public surfaces in Tuzla and its surroundings may be dated back to the time of Austro-Hungarian rule. Monuments are items which serve for remembrance of certain persons or events. The most frequently those are artistic objects (statues, sculptures and fountains). Besides those, there are also memorial parks, obelisks, memorial plaques, sinks, gravestones, etc.
An intensity of construction, character of monuments, types of materials and construction techniques significantly changed through various historical periods. In Bosnia and Herzegovina, and therefore in Tuzla, several phases of construction of monuments may be observed. The phases ate tightly connected with changes of political systems (state and social).
Therefore, there is a division into four periods:
The period of Austro-Hungarian rule (1878-1918) was characterized by an intensive construction of public and private buildings in Tuzla and its region. There was not any significant number of public monuments, except the one located on contemporary Square of Freedom (Appel Platz) – one obelisk dedicated to the Austro-Hungarian rule in Tuzla.
The period of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia (1918-1941) was characterized by an intensive construction of monuments. Monuments were constructed in front of schools, in resorts: for example in Leder’s fountain in Salty Spa, the Bridge with Statues, etc. It is interesting to mention that sometimes many artists worked at one place in order to decorate a space (both interior and exterior) of a facility. In a concrete case, it was a House of Falcons constructed by architect Bogdan Đukić. Its interior was decorated by Ismet Mujezinović, Anto Matković, Dragiša Trifković, Franjo Leder, Kristijan Kreković and many others. Today, only two sculptural reliefs by Franjo Leder are still there and they are located in front of the entrance to the Faculty of Sports in Tuzla within the Salty Spa complex. Besides the House of falcons, which does not exist anymore, there is an interesting information that sculptor Sreten Stojanović (1898–1960) was the author of a statue of king Aleksandar Karađorđević located in the are of contemporary Gate during the period between the two world wars. The statue of king Aleksandar was destroyed after establishment of Independent State of Croatia in April 1941. In the period before the beginning of the Second World War artists engaged in construction of public monuments followed European trends regarding sculpture because many of them were students in European art centers (Paris, Vienna, Berlin, Rome, etc.).
The period of socialist architecture (1945-1990) introduced some new trends in art. Construction of monuments of various types increased (memorial plaques, memorial houses, busts, sculptures, portraits, memorial parks, etc.) increased. The most common forms among sculptors were busts and portraits of national heroes. Busts were used to decorate public spaces and significant institutions as well as headquarters of companies. The most significant monuments which still certify about the past and the Second World War and workers’ movement from the Kingdom of Yugoslavia have been appearing since the late 50s. One of the most significant monuments from this period is the Miner from Husino located in front of Bosnian Cultural Center (former Moša Pijade Center) of author Ivana Sabolića and a memorial park of the same author in Husino. Another great memorial unit is located in the Salty Spa complex in Tuzla. Under the hill of Gradina there is a partisans’ graveyard which symbolizes gratitude of citizens of Tuzla to the Second World War soldiers. The partisans’ graveyard consist of a stairway with a plateau, a monument, a joint grave, belvederes and rest places, a sink, a well, walking paths, etc. One of the hugest monuments in the Salty Spa Complex is a relief of three soldiers made of a block of stone from the island of Brač. Three soldiers are carved on the front side while the back side contains craved text about a glory of passed-away soldiers. The design of the monument was done by Antun Augustinčić and Ismet Mujezinović. In the vicinity of the monument there are two plaques of author Dragiše Trifković with names of victims of fascists’ terror. There is also a work of Pero Jelisić dedicated to the anniversary of the Communist Party of Yugoslavia made on an amorphous stone base. Ther is also a monument different from monuments dedicated to the National Liberation Struggle by its thematic and its technical solution. It is a structure by Živorad Ciglić which represents the past of the City of Tuzla in four different planes: Prehistoric, Roman, Medieval and Ottoman period.
The period after Liberation 1992-1995 War is characterized by construction of memorial plaques and memorials dedicated to fallen soldiers and victims of the aggression on Bosnia and Herzegovina from1992 to 1995. As a sign of coordination of City’s authorities with other cities and states in the closer and wider area, Tuzla is enriched with many artistic items of good quality located in public spaces. First of all, there is a monument in the Central Park dedicated to the Medieval Bosnian king Tvrtko I Kotromanić. There are also busts of famous persosn of universal civilizational value, such as the bust of Martin Luther King. In the downtown there are monuments dedicated to writer Meša Selimović and painter Ismet Mujezinović. The monument dedicated to St. Francis of Assisi is located in front of the main entrance to the Catholic School Center in the downtown of Tuzla. It is the work of Ilija Skočibušić and it was put up and blessed in October 2009. There is also a monument made by Istvan Bencsik in front of the building of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering in Tuzla.